Grilled Cheese Sandwich & Tomato Soup Recipe #rachcancooksocanyou


2017-05-30: GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH & TOMATO SOUP RECIPE

Serves 2 / Vegetarian 
Cooking Time : 30 minutes

Follow me on Instagram @raechney for more of my beginner home-cook snapshots.
Or search for the hashtag #rachcancooksocanyou.

1st Try  : Last 2017-05-11 which I just winged it based on my palette's memory of how my fave grilled cheese at Big Bad Wolf (BGC) tasted like. I used a skillet to grill the sandwich over butter as how it should be properly done.


2nd Try : The day after the 1st try since I still have some leftover tomato soup. This time, I cut some corners again to make it more "sustainable" for the lazy-ass me. Used the toaster oven to grill the sandwich instead. No need to wash the skillet after use. 😜


Ingredients:
4 pcs         sliced bread (bought my multi-grain bread from Rustans for P75/loaf)
250 g        mozzarella cheese
150 g        cheddar cheese (quick-melt variety is recommended)
12 pcs       basil leaves, medium sized (some for sandwich and some for soup)
1 tbsp       honey
1 tbsp       sugar
1 can        peeled tomato (Molinera brand is the cheapest at P48/can)
1 tbsp       dried minced garlic
1/2 tbsp   dried oregano
1 tsp         olive oil
1/3 tsp     salt

Soup

Step #1 : Pour canned peeled tomato into sauce pan over medium heat for 5 mins. Mash the peeled tomato while stirring.

Step #2 : Add in olive oil, 6 basil leaves, dried oregano, dried minced garlic, salt and sugar and keep cooking for 10 mins. While waiting for soup to cook, start making the sandwich.

Sandwich

Step #1 : Put sliced mozzarella on bread then top with 3 pcs basil leaves per sandwich and then cheddar cheese slices on top of the basil. At this point, you only have an open-faced sandwich.

Step #2 : Put the open-faced sandwich into the toaster oven and toast for 5 mins on high heat.

Step #3 : Drizzle 1/2 tbsp of honey on top of slightly melted cheese then put on the top slice of bread. Toast the sandwich for another 5 mins on medium heat or until top slice of bread gets toasted brown.

Voila! You have just made a hearty vegetarian meal to rival those served in gastro pubs and bistros. All under 30 minutes! I bet this is going to become your staple comfort food too.

#rachcancooksocanyou ... so give it a try and tell me how it goes. 😉

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram @raechney for more easy beginner's recipes.

Comments

Popular Posts